Millet Walking Tour
Reverand Father Lacombe named the village of Millet in 1891. The President of the Canadian Pacific Railway, Sir William Van Horne asked Father Lacombe to name the stations from Lacombe and north on the new Calgary-Edmonton line. Millet was named for one of Father Lacombe's travelling companions and canoemen, August Millet. Mr. Millet was sometimes under the employment of the Hudson's Bay Company and sometimes under contract with the Northwest Mounted Police.
This walking Tour will take you through some of the points of interest of Millet. Many of the Historic Points of Interest have plaques that give more complete information about the sites.
In order to do the longer tour, which is about 3.3 km, one should set aside about an hour and a half. Most of the walk is done on sidewalks or paved paths. There are however some areas where there is no sidewalk, or only a shale path. The main part of the walk is mostly flat. The trail throught he Pipestone Park does contain a few gentle hills both up and down. The main parts of the Tour can be driven. The Pipestone Trail, however, is for walking only.
Take the 'Accessible' Virtual Tour Below, where most pictures were taken in Summer 2009:
|#11 Fire Hall||#21 Community Hall|
|#12 Post Office||#22 Mercantile Building|
|#13 Millet School||#23 Shops|
|#14 Burger Barn||#24 Old Bank|
|#15 Legacy Garden||#25 Apple Drugs|
|#16 Leannes Bar &||#26 Daisy Lane|
|#17 Can. Pacific Railway||#27 Pipestone Flyer|
|#18 Millet Untited Church||#28 Rose Garden|
|#19 Lions Hall||#29 Burns Creamery Garden|
|#20 Public Library||#30 School Bell Kiosk|